The Science Behind is a neuroscience and behavioural research service and consultancy provider. The work we do falls into two main areas:
- Behavioural Science Research, Training and Consultancy in the areas of health, safety and wellbeing; leadership, performance and change; and creativity and innovation. Using neuroscience and psychology combined with business management and communications experience across a range of sectors our aim is to provide companies with an understanding of why people behave the way they do and apply this insight to help solve business problems and inform business decision making.
- Contract Research Services. We provide neuroscience technologies and technical capability to companies in clinical trials and pharmaceutical industry who are developing drugs to treat central nervous system disorders.
The Science Behind Ltd is committed to respecting your privacy, protecting your personal data and safely and securely processing your data in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Any questions about this policy, our privacy notices or to exercise your rights under GDPR, please direct them to:
Data Protection Officer
The Science Behind Ltd
The Creative Quarter
8a Morgan Arcade
Responsibility for Personal Data.
The Science Behind is a data controller and data processor. We are the
- Data Controller for information we collect and process for our own purposes and the
- Data Processor for information we collect on behalf of our clients. In this case, the Client is the Data Controller.
When we collect data on behalf of our clients we ensure that the appropriate contractual arrangements to ensure your privacy have been put into place.
What data we collect about you, how and why.
You directly provide The Science Behind with most of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- visit our website and access web pages and hyperlinks
- interact with us in person by telephone, email, social media and at events we attend as delegates or exhibitors
- complete a Request a Call-back or a Contact Us form on our website
- engage with us to explore our services and/or commission us to deliver a service
- apply for a job with us
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
Data collected for our own purposes may include:
- Name and title
- Email address
- Who you work for/where you work?
- Telephone number
- Mailing address of your organisation
- Financial details such as bank details
We collect this information so that we may:
- Send you marketing communications which you have requested. This may include information about our services, events and activities. These communications are subscription based and require your consent.
- Send you information about the services you have purchased from us.
- Perform direct sales and marketing activities in cases where legitimate interest and mutual interest is established
- Provide you with content and details of events and activities you have signed up for
- Reply to a Request a Call-back or Contact Us or other webform you have completed on our website
- Follow up on an incoming request (email, telephone or mail)
- Perform contractual obligations such as service delivery, invoicing and similar, manage your account
- Process a job application
- Assess the effectiveness of our sales and marketing activities both on and offline
You may also provide The Science Behind with neurophysiological or behavioural data when we are collecting on behalf of a client.
Data collected on behalf of our clients for the purposes of screening, aggregated study and not for the purpose of individual identification may include:
- Date of birth,
- Neurophysiological or
- Behavioural data
- Personal and familial history of neurological conditions such as epilepsy
We collect this information so that we may fulfil our contractual obligations to our clients.
We also collect:
- Feedback, comments and questions received from you in service-related communications and activities
- Information from our website such as IP address and actions taken on the website
The Science Behind may also receive your data indirectly from the following sources:
- Social Media platforms such as LinkedIn
- Other publicly available sources of information
We do not share, sell or rent your data with third parties so that they may offer you their products and services.
At this time, The Science Behind does not transfer your data outside the EU.
Our legal basis for collecting personal data.
We use a number of legal basis for the collection and processing of personal data. They are:
- Consent: Data collected based on consent is done using a positive opt-in on forms and communication. Individual consents will be stored and documented on our systems.
- Contracts: Personal data is used to fulfil obligations to contracts and agreements with customers, partners and suppliers. In cases of Clinical Trials, consent is strictly regulated, and we work with our clients to ensure that appropriate disclosures have been made and consents gooven prior to our data collection and processing.
- Legitimate Interests: Personal data may be used if considered to be of legitimate interest and if privacy interest of the individual does not override this interest. This legal basis is primarily related to our sales and marketing activities. We will always inform individuals of their privacy rights and the purpose for collecting data.
The Science Behind stores personal data for as long as we find necessary to fulfil the purpose for which the data was collected. In this we will consider our need to respond to queries, resolve possible issues, comply with legal obligations or for safeguarding purposes.
With regards to Clinical Trials, our clients are required to produce a Trial Master File (TMF) which contained all the information about the clinical study. Under current law, they must retain this information for 25 years under EU Clinical Trials Regulations 536/2014.
How we keep your information secure.
We ensure that your personal data is protected with appropriate technical and organisational controls.
We use encryption for securing data as it is sent across the internet and networks and when data is archived.
We use security controls such as anti-virus software built into our operating systems.
We operate a digital first approach to document management. Unless we are legally required to hold it, we digitise all hard copy documentation and store securely on our networks before shredding.
In the context of Clinical Trials, we ensure that we have access to minimal personally identifiable data as possible.
Who we share personal data with.
We use selected and approved companies/individuals to provide services on our behalf, which may involve processing personal information. When we do this, we ensure the appropriate contracts and other controls are in place to protect your personal information and ensure that is treated with the utmost integrity.
We do not sell personal data to third parties.
Your rights under GDPR.
The Science Behind would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights.
- The right to access – You have the right to request The Science Behind for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that The Science Behind correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request The Science Behind to complete information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that The Science behind erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that The Science Behind restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to The Science Behind’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that The Science Behind transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us on the details provided above.
How to contact the appropriate authority
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that The Science Behind has not addressed a concern in a satisfactory way, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the
UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk).
Privacy policies of other websites